1990s:Built North American carpet and rug positions with a series of acquisitions through the decade. Today, Mohawk leads in the total North American flooring market, with product strength across all categories.
2002:Became largest North American ceramic manufacturer with acquisition of Dal-Tile, with facilities in the U.S. and Mexico.
2005:Established leading positions in U.S. and European laminate markets by acquiring Unilin and its patented Uniclic® installation technology, as well as a regional European roofing panel and board business.
2007:Achieved vertical integration in wood category through Columbia Wood Flooring acquisition and realigned Malaysian hardwood manufacturing operations to drive efficiencies and productivity.
2011:Entered the Australian flooring market through the acquisition of the only national laminate and hardwood distributor and began production of laminate in Russia to maximize market share.
2012:Entered the Brazilian laminate flooring market through a Joint Venture investment.
- Acquired Marazzi, which established worldwide leadership in ceramic category.
- Acquired Pergo to enhance leading laminate position in North America, Europe and enter Indian laminate market through a joint venture.
- Acquired Spano to consolidate regional chipboard leadership.
- Acquired IVC in Belgium and the U.S. to establish a leading position in the sheet vinyl and fast-growing luxury vinyl tile markets.
- Acquired KAI in Bulgaria, the leading ceramics supplier in the Bulgarian and Romanian markets, to grow business in the Eastern European market.
- Acquired only ceramic tile facility on west coast of North America (Mexicali, Mexico).
- Xtratherm acquisition expands regional European insulation board leadership.
- Acquired EmilGroup in Italy to extend leadership in the European ceramic market.
- Purchased Polcolorit ceramic manufacturer in Poland to expand into the northern and central European markets.
- Extended vertical integration of U.S. carpet and rug manufacturing with purchase of Alabama nylon polymerization facility.
- Added Texas talc mine to provide ample supply key material for ceramic tile production.
- Acquired Godfrey Hirst, largest carpet manufacturer in the southern hemisphere, to create leading soft and hard surface positions in Australia and New Zealand markets.
- Purchased Berghoef, leading European mezzanine flooring manufacturer, to expand presence in growing specialty flooring category.
- Added hard surface distributors in Switzerland and Italy to increase flooring sales in these significant markets.
- Acquired Eliane, a leading Brazilian ceramic tile manufacturer and the country’s largest ceramic exporter, to enter world’s third largest ceramic market and lay foundation for growth in South America
- Ramped up quartz countertop plant in Tennessee. Now provide stone, porcelain and quartz countertops.
- Initiated carpet tile manufacturing in Belgium to complement commercial hard surface offering.
- Started sheet vinyl production at new plant in Russia where sheet vinyl is the largest flooring category.